Training and Education Workgroup
Identified Barriers to Diabetes Care
In 2012 and 2013 the Training and Education Workgroup identified common access to care barriers for people with diabetes. The workgroup identified and provided resources on barriers for specific populations. As a next step the workgroup developed fact sheets for health care providers and for people with diabetes (including friends and family members of people with diabetes) on common barriers.
View the one page Barrier Fact Sheets
Goal Setting Resources
In 2011, the Training and Education Workgroup focused on identifying goal-setting tools and resources for health care providers, advocates, and persons with diabetes that can enhance support and education. Listed below are the selected and/or created resources:
- American College of Physicians (ACP) For Better Health: Setting Your Self-Management Goal, diabetes.acponline.org diabetes portal
- Diabetes Initiative Goal Setting Form: www.diabetesinitiative.org/resources/topics/GoalSetting.html
- DPAC Training and Education Workgroup Make a Move: Set a Goal in English and Spanish
- HRSA Setting My Goals mchb.hrsa.gov/womenshealth/mybrightfutureadult/Guide_my_setting.html
Health Literacy Resources
The Training and Education Workgroup members reviewed and selected existing resources that can assist when working with clients dealing with health literacy and/or low literacy problems. The selected resources were presented at the 2011 Spring DPAC membership meeting.
Be an Educator
has tips and resources (including diabetes) that can boost health literacy: www.BeAnEducator.com
National Diabetes Education Program (NDEP)
offers many materials at a 4th grade reading level and in various languages: ndep.nih.gov
Learning About Diabetes
offers low literacy, free patient education materials in English and Spanish: www.learningaboutdiabetes.org
American Medical Association (AMA)
has a comprehensive, at your own pace manual (includes continuing education credit):
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
offers an in-depth training and additional resources (includes continuing education credit) www.cdc.gov/HealthLiteracy
University of Arizona
offers a highly interactive training: healthlit.fcm.arizona.edu
Tools & Resources
The Training and Education Workgroup set a goal to increase public awareness of some of the issues concerning diabetes. The workgroup developed tool kits to assist with dissemination of information.
Please use them to help educate and improve the health of people with diabetes. View the tool kit introductory letter
Oral Health and Diabetes
Pregnancy and Diabetes
- Diabetes: Dental Tips, National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, 2007. View/download English or Spanish pdf.
- Diabetes and Oral Health, Michigan Department of Community Health-Oral Health Program and DPAC, 2009. View/download pdf English or Spanish pdf.
- Prevent diabetes problems: Keep your teeth and gums healthy, National Diabetes Clearinghouse, 2008. View/download English or Spanish pdf.
- Gestational Diabetes: What you need to know, National Diabetes Clearinghouse, 2007.
- It's Never Too Early to Prevent Diabetes, National Diabetes Education Program, 2007. View/download English or Spanish pdf.
- Managing Gestational Diabetes: A Patient Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, 2003.
- Risk Factors for Diabetes During and After Pregnancy, Healthy Mothers on the Move Project, 2009. View/download English or Spanish pdf.
The Training and Education Programs Workgroup exists to identify barriers to access diabetes education for self management and to establish partnerships that will develop a plan to overcome barriers to access with a particular focus on minority populations that are disproportionately affected by diabetes and its associated complications.
All People with diabetes in the State of Michigan shall have access to culturally-competent diabetes education for self management.
Meeting Information and Updates
Please contact Gloria Palmisano for information on upcoming meetings. In months when a DPAC Full Membership meeting is scheduled (twice each year), the workgroup will meet during the afternoon of that meeting.
Minutes for August 7, 2014